Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Workouts

I was often asked as I recounted the totally exhausting workouts I've been participating in: the fairly consistent feeling of being on the verge of throwing up, begging for mercy and pushing weight with muscles that literally have nothing left in them, "Are you writing all of your workouts down so you know what to do when your 90 Day Challenge is over?".

I thought about it.  But decided against it.  Here's why:

1.  My workouts are never ever the same.  I may do some of the same types of exercises, but to keep the body changing and striving to work outside of my comfort zone, it's always different.  What I can tell you is that it is a circuit style of training called "Metabolic Training".  Designed to burn 1,000-1,500 calories per workout and keep my body a raging metabolic inferno the rest of the day.  It includes bursts of cardio at various effort and times.  It always includes some form of weights.  Sometimes it's body-weight exercises, sometimes it's free weights, sometimes machines.  Reps range from 20-50, weight varies all the time.  So to try to put rhyme or reason to it is futile.  And as hard as it would be to duplicate on my own, it would be undesirable to duplicate it as well.   I workout 60 minutes 5 days a week and that includes time to warm up, cool down and stretch.  Very efficient timewise.

2.   I would NEVER do this to myself.  When my internal alarm system is going off and my brain is saying things like "you can not physically complete this exercise"  "I'm exhausted" "I have nothing left"  "It's safer to stop".  That's when my trainer just smiles and pushes harder.  It is his job to know how far to push me outside of this mental state without me getting injured.  I could probably push myself (sometimes) into this zone, but I do not recognize at what point I risk injury by doing too much.  He is excellent at knowing how far to push. 

3.  Motivation.  It's very easy to forget why I am doing this when I'm exhausted.  He reminds me that I have big goals which require moving outside of the comfort zone, that when it burns I'm burning more calories, and that if I don't complete the exercise with proper form, I get to do it again.  Motivation. 

4.  Built-in spotter.  I can't always complete the exercises.  I am a lone wolf when I work out.  Therefore I could never lift as heavy without someone to watch over me and help me out.  Having the help is helping me progress.

5.  It takes a lot less energy to just show up and do what your told.  I've spend a couple years reading, researching and planning countless workout plans.  Always taking a fairly uneducated stab at what would get me the body attributes I was looking for.  Only ever mildly successful.  This time it is working in a big way!

The value of a trainer is infinite.  I won't be able to continue with as many sessions as I have been doing to win the challenge.  But I will continue to work with my trainer.  There is huge value to it and he is an integral part of getting me where I want to go in the most efficient way possible. 

Info on my trainer and gym:  Platinum Sports & Fitness

No comments:

Post a Comment