Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Doppelganger Drama and Stuffing Myself Like a Turkey

So, about the time I embraced my Facebook account, it was "Doppelganger Week". I didn't know what a doppelganger was and I sure as heck wasn't sure why all my friends suddenly greatly resembled celebrities in their profile pictures. Figured it out. But I couldn't for the life of me figure out who my celebrity doppelganger might be. I do know that I apparently have a doppelganger that lives in Salem because for years I have been mistaken for this alleged girl...I wonder if I met her if I would think we looked alike. To others, we look identical.


Anywho, this week my husband and I were watching "Rules of Engagement". And my husband blurts out that he is looking at my doppelganger - the wifey one, Megyn Price. The one from Grounded for Life. I had to take my hand and fish my jaw up off the floor. HER?! Seriously?!? WHY?!? I don't think much of her (maybe because she's me?) and was even more shocked that I just don't see it at all.  Before copping a serious girl-itude I decided to sit with the information for a bit...and while I was sitting I frantically Googled her.  Whenever she comes up the words "smart" and "hot" follow quite often, okay, my feelings are becoming a little more lukewarm to the idea.  My mind is churning and I admit to myself, I have a tendency to not see myself clearly.  EVER.  I either think I am way better, but usually way worse than I currently am but rarely am I dead on.  The only thing that really sets me straight for a brief time are photographs/videos and comments made by my husband.  He  knows me better than anybody, he knows my personality, feelings and struggles and he's very honest with the best of intentions and doesn't let the fact that sometimes I freak out at the comments sway him in his honesty.  I appreciate that.  So, I take it in.  Megyn Price.  My Doppelganger.  Shocking but I'm trying to make peace with it until...he then says "well, she's a bigger gal and so are you".  Sorry, girl-itude took over at this moment before rationalization could.  I believe I started to foam at the mouth while my eyes became as big as saucers and my head started to rotate around on it's axis.  "WHAT. DOES. THAT. MEAN"???  What he meant was that I'm not a 4'8" waif but a 5'7" fit girl.  But I was already in full-on doghouse-flipout mode and there was no going back.  That killed an hour in the name of proper self-perspective.  Ah the joys of being an estrogen driven super freak.  I need to work on seeing myself a little more realistically and also not turning into said estrogen-super-freak every time a comment about my physical being is on the table and being horrifically misconstrued by me and my warped perspective.  Yikes. 

Now to the real task at hand - preparing for Thanksgiving.  Here's the deal.  On a typical Thanksgiving I would eat a family's worth of servings of my sister's amazing crab dip on buttery Ritz crackers as an appetizer.  Then, although I'm really too full to then have a Thanksgiving dinner, I would then proceed with modest amounts of turkey, larger amounts of mashed potatoes, yams, rolls & jelly and whatever else wandered onto the table.  And don't forget dessert.  A very healthy serving of dessert.  Stuffed like the turkey on the table.  And if I was currently on a too-restrictive diet at the time, then much, much more of the above food in the name of a cheat day.  I'm sick just thinking about being that full.  So full it hurts to move.

So, all my posts regarding clean eating and leaning out by all means do not mesh with the above scenario.  Thanksgiving is not my privelege to cook this year, but even if it was I wouldn't subject my poor family to turkey, plain sweet potatoes, lots of vegetables, and perhaps a clean dessert of some kind if you could call it dessert.  As much as I want to live my edible life a certain way, I certainly don't get preachy with others about it.  To each his own, ya know?  My problem is how to take care of myself on this food focused day.  I'm thinking it through, making a plan and whatever I decide I'm making a promise to myself to stick to it in the name of my goals. 

Turkey is fine.  No skin, I don't like gravy anyway and I prefer white meat.  Nada problem.  Mashed potatoes are out.   That's one of my favorites.  It's going to smart a little.  Candied sweet potatoes are coming to the party.  I could eat a potato as plain as possible and try to avoid the candied part.  That's going to smart a lot.  Scrape the yummy stuff off so I can eat the plain tasteless part?  Awesome.  Stuffing, don't care for it, thank goodness, a gimme.  Rolls and my sister's homemade jelly.  I won't do it.  Because even the wheat muffins are white bread in a tan disguise.  Hmph.  I'm tempted to bring a piece of my own whole grain bread just to have a sampling of the homemade jelly.  I might budge on that one as long as I bring the bread.  Crab dip.  What the heck am I gonna do about that blasted crab dip?!  I eat it twice a year.  Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I feel physical pain when I imagine not having any crab dip.  So, I'll compromise.  I'm bringing reduced fat Ritz crackers (unclean, but with the dip it makes the "perfect bite" and if I'm going to do it, let's do it right).  I will have two.  One for fun and one to bank in the memory.  And no, the crackers will not be piled to the ceiling.  Lastly, dessert.  Nothing on the dessert list is even remotely clean.  But as I sit here and think about it, nothing on the dessert list is something that I will feel really disappointed if I can't have.  That's interesting, because I always would eat dessert and usually a lot of it.  And yet it's not that high on my priority list.  I probably will want to have something and I don't want to look exclusive of the group by not partaking.  My solution is to bring a clean dessert to contribute and then just eat that.  I've decided to try a clean cookie recipe: "Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies".  Clean and easy to control the calories and nutrients. Plus, since it's not a pie, it doesn't compete with the other desserts and could easily be sampled by others if preferred or just skulk away in a Ziploc into the night.

So, I feel good about this plan.  The important thing is to stick to it.  I will get to have a couple of unclean treats, food I truly look forward to.  I will eat clean otherwise and just not waste my appetite on food that really doesn't matter that much to me.  I work way too hard busting my tail in the gym to just throw it all away on food that doesn't matter.  This is a huge step in the right direction for me and I'm determined to stick to it.

Wish me luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment