Friday, August 13, 2010

Book Review - Sculpting Her Body Perfect

After countless books that feature workout plans that I've tried, I like author Brad Schoenfeld.  He is concise, gives the science behind the theory and provides workouts to give you the results you want.

This is the second book of his that I have read and tried out.  This is a perfect book for someone who wants to start weight training but doesn't have much experience or is coming back to it after time away. 

This book was originally published in 2000, it was revised in 2008 and I find all the information in it to still be relevant to the workout world today.

A unique feature of this book is that it comes with a DVD to demonstrate the proper form for most of the exercises it prescribes.  This is a great feature, because still photos sometimes do not show enough to do a move properly.  Also included in the front of the book is a chart of exercises and it gives the page number it appears in the book, the type of equipment it uses (i.e. body weight, exercise ball, dumbbells) and if the exercise appears on the DVD.  Very nice feature and a real time-saver when you are heading to the gym and can't remember the details of an exercise.

The author reminds us in the book that exercise is a science and as such there are certain rules that are finite.  He busts through some common myths, such as there is no such thing as spot reducing and anyone who tells you there is is lying to you, and explains why women have a different set of rules for working out due to our hormonal makeup to get the results we desire.

He divides the workouts into three stages to take you from a beginning weight trainee through to advanced.  I strongly urge a newbie to take his advice.  I did not know the importance of this when I started and of course, living in a world of denial did some biceps curls with more weight than I should've.  Two weeks into my gym membership and I discovered I had given myself a hernia in my left abdominal wall.  I had to wear an abdominal binder (kind of like an ugly corset) for SIX WEEKS while I worked, lifted anything, exercised, etc.  I did and it healed, but my left side is shaped slightly differently than my right now because of it.  Do yourself a favor and give yourself the time he suggests to acclimate.

If you are someone that does not have access to gym equipment, he gives at-home options for all workouts.

 There are a few special interest sections that address pregnancy, cardio, and maintaining your physique.

The beginning phase, called the Body Conditioning Phase, is meant to be done for 3-6 months and offers a 3-day split giving full routines for each day.  A great full-body conditioning workout. 

The intermediate phase, called Toning and Shaping, is just that.  This phase will last at least 6 months and will build your foundation of muscles and just as the name implies, tone and shape you.

The advanced phase, called Targeted Bodysculping is like a tapas menu of desirable body attributes: Sexy Chest, Hourglass Back, Shapely Shoulders, Beautiful Biceps, Toned Triceps, Defined Quads, Lean Hamstrings and Glutes, Diamond Calves, Six-Pack Abs.  Pick your poison and get to work!

This is an all-around great place to get your feet wet with weight training.  This book could keep you busy for at least a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment